Probably everybody who has lost a lot of weight is asked "what's your secret?". I usually start by saying "if I told you, it wouldn't help you", because we all have different bodies, and we all have different attitudes to things as well. But they still keep asking! So here are the first five of my ten 'secrets' - this is not 'advice'. I'm not saying any of these will work for you, but I know they worked for me.
- I had a lot to lose, so my first 'secret' was to use Nutracheck to help me change my eating habits forever. I wanted to become a calorie expert, so I did the cooking, and I weighed and recorded absolutely everything. I took it very seriously, because this had to work, and it had to work forever.
- I realised that losing a lot of weight would get harder, not easier. My smaller and smaller body would need fewer and fewer calories, so I figured out the ways I was going to keep eating fewer and fewer calories and doing more and more exercise over the coming year.
- I have a big appetite and I hate being hungry, so I changed my eating habits so I was eating a lot of filling low-calorie food.
- I learned about weight loss from scientific sources, so that I knew what was the truth and what was a myth. A great start was the 'resources' on the Nutracheck website, and then I did a free online university course about obesity.
- I didn't confuse healthy eating with eating to lose weight. They are often the same, but not always. So I just counted calories, and I hoped that the 'healthy' bit would look after itself. For example I didn't pay much attention to 'good fats' and 'bad fats' - they slow down weight loss just the same. I counted the calories, and it turned out that doing that led me to very healthy eating habits anyway.
In my next blog, I'll give you my other five 'secrets'.
Steve lost a massive 10st with Nutracheck. He now regularly writes about how he maintains his weight loss.