Lentil, Rice & Vegetable Bake
120g uncooked long grain white rice
200g red lentils
1 tsp vegetable oil
1 small onion
3 cloves garlic
1 medium tomato
1 small tin chopped tomatoes
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp ground cumin
salt and pepper to taste
1. Place the rice and half the water in a pan, and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for approx 20 minutes.
2. Place lentils in a pan with the remaining water, and bring to a boil. Cook 15 minutes, or until tender.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Meanwhile heat the oil in a pan over medium heat, and add in the onion and garlic. Mix in the sliced tomatoe, celery, carrots, courgette, and half the tine of tomatoes.
4. Season with 1/2 the basil, 1/2 the oregano, 1/2 the cumin, salt, and pepper and cook until the vegetables are tender.
5. In a casserole dish, mix the rice, lentils, and vegetables. Top with remaining tinned tomatoes and sprinkle with left over basil, oregano, and cumin. Bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until bubbly.
This is great served with grilled chicken and salad (just add in the additional bits to your Food Diary).